Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall Fair Time

Fall is upon us and that brings the county fair.  Our local fair is put on by the Kiwanis Club and the proceeds benefit local charities.  In our area it's a pretty big deal!  Not only for the folks who enjoy the event, but for the deserving organizations who benefit in a time where many are finding it difficult to continue offering the level of service that our community needs.

My job at the fair is syrup making.  As I mentioned in my previous blog, I'm being toutered by an older gentleman so that this tradition can live on.  We spent this week taking care of the last minute setup so that we're ready to go when the gates open.  I'm looking forward to the week.  I'll be working with two fellows, both northward of 80, who have probably forgotten more that I'll ever know.

This week will be taxing on mamma bear as she'll be home alone with the kids every night.  (Shoutout MB!  Love you!)  I pray that God blesses her with patience and strength to get through the week.  I'll spend some time today getting some quick fix meals ready for them so that she won't have to worry about that.  I hope to be able to take a little break during the week to get my oldest out and walk him around to see the livestock and maybe get on a ride or two.

Dad got his hands on a old Farmall Cub last week.  It had not been cranked in a few years and it looked pretty rough.  The original plan was to part it out and make a few bucks.  After a little tinkering and some cleanup we found that it runs almost better than another Cub that we've been using regularly over the past year.  What makes this one neat is that it has not been outfitted with a modern electrical system like many others have.  It does however, still have the original magneto.  What this means is that we don't have to have a battery or modern generator to crank and run it.  We tested it with a hand crank and it fired up after only three turns.  I'm really really looking forward to playing with this one.

I plan to post some pictures from the fair during the week.  That idea was inspired from another blog that I read from someone who posts interesting photos when battling a writers block.  I've been having huge block as of late.  Mind cluttered, having a tough time coming up with material.  Maybe this is the week i can get out of the funk.  Maybe I'll take a note pad along and jot down some ideas.

Ya'll take it easy.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment