Friday, February 28, 2014

The Excellent Adventure: Day 1

Here I sit.  In a tent, just outside of Rome, GA.  I thought about a title for this series on the way up here.  The best I could come up with was Excellent Adventure.  The creative juices were stunted with the larger emotions surrounding this whole operation.  The other alternative was Bogus Journey, but sequels generally always disappoint.  (Only Bill & Ted fans will get that reference.)  What am I talking about anyway?  If you don't know, I would refer you to this previous blog entry to catch up.

I arrived mid-afternoon after an uneventful drive up.  Atlanta traffic was good to me.  I was pleasantly surprised as I drove into the campground.  You never really know what you're going to get going to a new campsite for the first time.  With a nice clean entrance, and the scenery of the foothills and the Coosa River, I knew as I drove in that this location was a good choice.  I was greeted by a nice gentleman at the "trading post" who checked me in and directed me to my spot.  He told me I might have a little trouble getting my RV backed in, but that he would be happy to come spot for me.  I explained that there was no need for that as I was going to be in a tent.  He replied, "You're gonna tent camp for 11 days?!?!?"  I immediately shot back, "That's exactly what my wife said!"  We shared a few laughs and I was on my way.

Setup was a breeze.  My spot is very spacious and has plenty of room for my tent, a table, my supplies and my Jeep right next to the tent.  (I'm not opposed to bedding down in the back of my Jeep if I have to.)  The bathhouse isn't the nicest I've ever seen, but it isn't the worst either.  The bathrooms are heated and of course there are hot showers.  There is even a laundry facility...2 washers and 2 dryers.  Overall this is a great location.  With all the amenities I'm not roughing it in a true sense, but with the duration that I will be here that's a good thing.

Once everything was set up, I took off to get the lay of the land.  Priority number one was to find the exact location of the auctioneer school.  I'm glad I did, because it's about 2 miles away from where Google says it is.  The detour did take me past a very cool sportsman store.....which I stopped at, drooled over some things and got directions from some locals.  I found the right place, cut a u-turn and headed back to camp.  I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich and sat down to type this.

I don't suspect that I'll sleep very good tonight.  Not so much because of the cold weather, but rather the thoughts racing through my mind.  I'm not gonna lie.  It all finally hit me on the drive up here.  I very deliberately asked God to soften my heart so that I could let him lead me through this transition.  I feel certain that I have allowed that leadership throughout the planning of this, but the doubt still lingers.  I know that awesome things will come of this, but I'm still just as nervous as a cat.

After an authentic campsite cup of coffee in the morning, it will all start in earnest.  It gets really real, really quick.  I don't know what the subsequent entries in The Excellent Adventure will be like.  Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.  Either way, I'm planning to write about it.  I hope you'll read along.

Y'all take it easy,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment