Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Pledge of Allegiance

Image: Wilson Info Clipart
http://www.wilsoninfo.com/index.html  
I've noticed something interesting about the Pledge of Allegiance over time.  Let me first say that yes..... I have seen the Red Skelton video and I am versed on the history of the phrase "under God."  What I've noticed is the difference in delivery of that portion and how it varies between certain groups.
In 1996 I had the opportunity to participate in an American Legion program called Boys State.  The program is a week long exercise in which rising high school seniors run a mock government at the city, county and state level.  I loved the program so much that I continued on serving as a counselor for 8 of the past 15 years.  (I hope to get back on board at some point, but my own kids complicate it a bit)  It was there that I first heard the pledge of Allegiance recited with "one nation under God" spoken as a whole, continuous, complete verse.  I had always heard and been taught that it was broken into two verses:  "one nation ................................ under God.  No pause for the members of the American Legion!

Fast forward 15 years.  After joining our local Kiwanis Club I hear the same delivery from this group of men and women.  No pause.  I wonder is it an age difference?  Were children of the 40s and 50s taught to recite without the pause?  We also have a LOT of veterans who are Kiwanians.  Maybe it's something that they share as servicemen and servicewomen?

Nothing earth shattering.  Just thought it was interesting.  I recite it without the pause.  Any time that I'm in a group of younger folks or non-veterans I get odd looks.  There's always one or two others in the group who do the same though.  I think it's pretty cool.

Y'all take it easy,

Alex

4 comments:

  1. Now I will pay closer attention and recite without the pause. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the pause reflects the comma after each set of words?? I learned it with the pauses....

    Things that make you go.hummmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is not a comma between the phrases in the pledge...therefore no pause. It is taught without the pause in the Boy Scouts of America curriculum. (1st grade Tiger Book page 49 under note to adult partner)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Anonymous. I appreciate your input!

    ReplyDelete